What is subsidized housing?
Subsidized housing refers to housing units that are funded entirely or partially by the government.
What is Public Housing?
Public Housing was established to provide decent, safe and affordable rental housing for eligible low- income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. Public Housing properties are managed by the local housing authority (HA). The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers federal aid to the local HA for low-income residents at rates they can afford.
Will I have to sign a lease?
If you are offered an apartment and accept it, you will have to sign a lease with the housing authority. You may have to give the housing authority a security deposit. You and the HA representative should go over the lease together. This will give you a better understanding of your responsibilities as a tenant and the housing authority’s responsibilities as a landlord.
Do you offer emergency housing?
Aside from individuals displaced due to natural disaster, emergency housing is not available. All housing applicants are placed on a waiting list once the application has been received. The order of the waiting list is based on the time and date which the application is received.
How long will it be before I am contacted?
Once your name reaches the top of the waiting list, you will be contacted to come in for an interview to determine eligibility. The amount of time between submission of the application and the interview is dependent upon many factors. On average, it will be at least three months before you are contacted. Sometimes the wait time may be significantly longer depending on availability of units in certain bedroom sizes.
How will I be contacted?
The housing authority will mail a letter to the address provided on your application once it is time for your interview. Therefore, it is extremely important that you keep our office updated with your correct contact information at all times. If you do not respond to the letter within the designated time frame, your name will be removed from the waiting list. If you need to make any changes to your application, please complete a change form at the office where you submitted the application.
How is rent determined?
Rent is determined based on household income. Typically, renters pay about 30% of adjusted gross income. Rent is calculated in accordance with HUD regulations.
How long can I stay in Public Housing?
In general, you may stay in public housing as long as you comply with the lease.
What if someone in my family does not have a photo ID?
Government-issued photo IDs must be submitted by everyone in your household 18 and older.
What if someone in my family does not have a Social Security number/card?
JHA will accept one of the following documents in lieu of a Social Security card:

  • An original SSA-issued document, which contains the name and SSN of the individual, or
  • An original document issued by a federal, state or local government agency, which contains the name and SSN of the individual.

JHA may reject any documentation provided by an applicant if the document is not an original document, if the original document has been altered, mutilated, is illegible, or if the document appears to be forged.

What if someone in my family does not have a birth certificate?
JHA will accept the following documents in lieu of a birth certificate:

  • Church issued baptismal certificate
  • Current, valid driver’s license or Department of Motor Vehicle identification card
  • U.S. military discharge
  • Current U.S. passport
  • Current employer identification card
For children, the following will be accepted:
  • Adoption papers
  • Custody agreement
  • Health and Human Services ID
  • Certified school records
Are utilities included?

If you are housed in a public housing unit, the utilities are provided by JHA. If you exceed the utility allowance for your unit size, you will be responsible for payment of the overage. Excess utility bills are paid to JHA on a quarterly basis. Utility allowance charts are distributed and discussed during the leasing interview.

If you are housed in a Tax-Credit property, you will be responsible for providing your own utilities. You may receive a utility allowance from JHA, which is paid directly to the utility provider, and you are responsible for any remaining balance.

Do all units have heat and air conditioning?
Each of JHA’s units has heat. However, air conditioning is not provided in public housing units.
Are pets allowed?
JHA does allow common households pets with the following restrictions:

  • Any animal whose adult weight will exceed 25 pounds
  • Dogs of the pit bull, rottweiler, chow, or boxer breeds
  • Ferrets or other animals whose natural protective mechanisms pose a risk to small children of serious bites or lacerations

Residents must register any pet with JHA. You may own a maximum of 2 pets, only 1 of which may be a dog. You will be required to pay a non-refundable pet deposit of $150 per pet. No charge will be assessed for residents with service or assistance animals. Please review the entire pet policy during your leasing interview.