What is subsidized housing?
What is Public Housing?
Will I have to sign a lease?
Do you offer emergency housing?
How long will it be before I am contacted?
How will I be contacted?
How is rent determined?
How long can I stay in Public Housing?
What if someone in my family does not have a photo ID?
What if someone in my family does not have a Social Security number/card?
- An original SSA-issued document, which contains the name and SSN of the individual, or
- An original document issued by a federal, state or local government agency, which contains the name and SSN of the individual.
JHA may reject any documentation provided by an applicant if the document is not an original document, if the original document has been altered, mutilated, is illegible, or if the document appears to be forged.
What if someone in my family does not have a birth certificate?
- Church issued baptismal certificate
- Current, valid driver’s license or Department of Motor Vehicle identification card
- U.S. military discharge
- Current U.S. passport
- Current employer identification card
For children, the following will be accepted:
- Adoption papers
- Custody agreement
- Health and Human Services ID
- Certified school records
Are utilities included?
If you are housed in a public housing unit, the utilities are provided by JHA. If you exceed the utility allowance for your unit size, you will be responsible for payment of the overage. Excess utility bills are paid to JHA on a quarterly basis. Utility allowance charts are distributed and discussed during the leasing interview.
If you are housed in a Tax-Credit property, you will be responsible for providing your own utilities. You may receive a utility allowance from JHA, which is paid directly to the utility provider, and you are responsible for any remaining balance.
Do all units have heat and air conditioning?
Are pets allowed?
- Any animal whose adult weight will exceed 25 pounds
- Dogs of the pit bull, rottweiler, chow, or boxer breeds
- Ferrets or other animals whose natural protective mechanisms pose a risk to small children of serious bites or lacerations
Residents must register any pet with JHA. You may own a maximum of 2 pets, only 1 of which may be a dog. You will be required to pay a non-refundable pet deposit of $150 per pet. No charge will be assessed for residents with service or assistance animals. Please review the entire pet policy during your leasing interview.